Because I had off from work yesterday, I decided to hop into the kitchen an hour before dinner and make some dessert. Of course, I took to Pinterest and searched my Yummy board for some inspiration. That’s when I stumbled upon the Blueberry Slab Pie I had pinned a while back. I’ve been addicted to blueberries for the past few weeks because they are in season and so delicious! So, I figured this would be the perfect dessert to make.
Plus, it has very little sugar so you don’t feel gross after you eat a slice. This pie is unique because it has a cream cheese crust and the blueberry filling has lemon juice + lemon zest. It was suuuper yummy! The blog My Habit Fix provided me with the recipe below! Give it a try and dig in!
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into small cubes
1/4 cup (2 ounces) cream cheese, cold and cut into small cubes
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1-2 teaspoons ice cold water
2 cups blueberries
1/4 cup superfine sugar (granulated is fine)
1 tablespoon tapioca starch
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon white sanding sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. For dough: Place flour, salt, baking powder, butter, and cream cheese in a food processor and pulse until a fine meal forms. While pulsing, add water and vinegar and continue to pulse until dough forms. Dump dough onto a clean surface and form into a disc. Tightly cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Lightly flour a clean surface and roll dough out into a 12”x12” square, about 1/8-1/4 inch thick.
4. Transfer dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
5. For filling: Place all ingredients into a large mixing bowl and toss together.
6. To assemble: Fill one side of dough with filling, leaving a 1/2 inch border around the edge. Lightly egg wash perimeter and fold the unfilled side over. Firmly press edges together with a fork and score the top of the pie to allow steam to escape while baking. Brush top with egg wash and sprinkle with sanding sugar.
7. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Allow pie to cool for 20-30 minutes before cutting and serving.
Enjoy the recipe! And Happy Hump Day. Nothing makes a Wednesday better than a yummy treat!